Monday, April 19, 2010

Humanitarian Project

Saturday was the Humanitarian Project that mom's family does every year. Everyone gets to go to the school gym and help make things for "poor people with no money that don't have stuff, like the ones we see on the sidewalk in San Francisco..." We made 7 quilts for them and I even got to help sew! Mom helped show me where to put the needle, don't worry it's wasn't too pointy!
Look at everyone quilting away...
Even the boys were helping quilt! I didn't know boys knew how to do that!
Then we put together these bags with lots of stuff, like towels, tooth brushes, tooth paste, and combs to "give to people when there are emergencies and they can't find their stuff!" We put together over 200 bags! I was so fast at doing this mom could hardly keep up with me :-)
After that we had a big potato lunch and then found out who won the "guessing cans of prizes" and it was so exciting. We had to guess how many tootsie rolls, coins and jelly beans were in jars and if you came closest you won. Guess what?!? Mom and I guessed 83 tootsie rolls and there were 84 so we won! Yeah! Then when Grandma said that no one was really gonna win the jar of money because we were giving it to people with no money, I announced, in front of everyone, that "Sam has no money at all. Are we giving it to her?" She turned bright red and other people laughed, I was excited that I got to help her out :-)

Helping people with nothing sure is fun. Especially when there is LOT of little kids that you can play with and make a "Team" with and have lots of fun doing lots of crazy things with. I even got to see brand new "baby kitty-kitty" they still had their tails stick up when they walked. I loved them!

We didn't get to spend very long in Idaho or Utah but for the few days we were there it was so much fun! Mom said she was sad she didn't get to see everyone that lived there, but we just didn't have time. But she did tell me we were coming back in July and that we will have more time, phew!

3 comments:

Larae said...

What a neat project!

Anonymous said...

Jeremy says you suck for not coming to see us!

kirkmerrill said...

So glad you got to see Sam and spend time seeing family. love ya tons.. Dad