Sunday, December 12, 2010

Funny Conversations about GA

So one of the things we did before moving here (and still do...) is comment on how awesome people talk here. Granted, living in Roswell REALLY isn't that southern. But people still say "y'all" and use weird sayings like "how'd my dog's tail get involved in that..." (huh?)

K: Mom, I can't say what at school. Who doesn't say what?
M: I don't get it, when can't you say what?
K: She wants me to say excuse me but that is not how we talk.
M: Excuse me is a polite way to say what, thats what they say here in the South and if that's what your teacher wants, then you'll have to just say excuse me...
K: But I am not from the South, and I don't want to talk like they do. I already have to say "Yes Ma'am" and thats enough South for me. I don't want to sound like they do....

Perhaps we shouldn't make fun so much? She really thinks that "y'all" is a bad word...

3 comments:

Janelle said...

So stinking funny and so weird you live in the south!

Tyrell Berner said...

That's really funny. I've heard that it's like another world in the south.

Charlene said...

I just found your blog & its so cute! I'm from the south "alabama" & living in Fl. now & people still can't understand me! My poor 6 yr. old is in speech, because of his "twang" when he speaks! I hope you love liv'in in the south, if you ever need a translator let me know!