Please don't judge me. Grandma Cameron came to visit. And we had a really fun time. We did some fun things. And these are the two pictures I have to prove it... I suck at remembering to take pictures right now.
While she was here she wanted to do some "Southern Things" since we live in the south, but Atlanta doesn't really count as the south, so we went exploring :-) We went and hiked to the top of Stone Mountain. Don't be too impressed, it's about a 2 mile hike. But it is REALLY quite steep. Once you get to the top you can see ALL around you. Atlanta, Buckhead, and endless tree tops. It was pretty cool. Then we went and looked at one of the houses in Historic Roswell. It was the house of President Teddy Roosevelt's mother's childhood (got that?) house. It was interesting and SUPER weird. Looking at the slave quarters and listening to the lady talk about how (and where) slaves were allowed to walk. For example, they cooked in the slave kitchen, but weren't allowed to walk through the hall to the dining room, so they had to carry the food out the back door, around the house, then in through the front door... dumb. It was very uncomfortable. Very weird. I guess I've never heard slavery talked about that casually before. Like it wasn't a big deal. The tour lady did end her little "speech" with, " They were very good to their slaves..." Riiiiiight.... But it was very interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment