Friday, March 6, 2009

Sweet Dreams

There isn't much thats as peaceful as a sleeping baby ( or 3 year old). I could watch Kensie sleep for hours. It's just so relaxing.  If only getting her to sleep was as relaxing!
We have a set ritual that seems to get longer and longer.  When she was a baby, we would rock for 10 minutes or so and then she would go right to sleep.  Now that 10 minutes has stretched into 25 minutes (at least)...  be prepared, this is a long list!
1. Read Cinderella... she asks the same 4 questions EVERY TIME we read it.  Why is Lucifer small (he's still a baby). Why do they call her Cinderella ( she gets covered with cinders when she cleans the fireplace).  Why are her slippers glass (they just are).  Why is her dress grey ( her wedding dress is cream, not grey).
2. Sing songs...  Don't worry, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, You are my sunshine, ABCs
3. Wind up the music box
4. Turn on the Ladybug night light
5. Steve sings songs... Don't worry, ABCs
then we shut off the light and leave
6. 5 minutes later... "Mom, please come wind up my music box again, just one more time"
7. "Mom, I want to change pajamas""
8."Mom, the blanket messed up, can you come fix it"
This can go on for 30 or 40 minutes before both Steve and I are annoyed and just want to relax for a little while before bed so we have to threaten a "time out" in the corner if she calls us again.  This normally works and she's asleep a few minutes later.
Now, I know this sounds like I am a ninny and should just put her in bed and thats it, but I hate listening to her cry and complain even more than walking into her room 10 million times.  Plus, she is just so cute that I'm a total sucker :-)  Plus, she is growing up so fast soon she wont want me to sing or read to her.  (Does it sound like I'm justifying to anyone else?)

3 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

I think that list is pretty great! And I totally agree...give her another year or 2 and she won't want any cuddling, story time, songs...nothin'...I say have the routine and then be done...I try each night to remind myself (when lil D asks for another book) that it won't be many years when I get to do this! and the pic of her sleeping...that is a true picture of peace...can't wait to see you guys!!!

Keep'n up with the Cameron said...

At least you don't have to lock your kid in her room...remember the latch days!!! UGH!!!

Janelle said...

Totally justifying but you are right...time really does fly with the kiddos, and she is stinking adorable!